Welcome to SOLE!
Schools and Outdoor Learning Environments (SOLE) is designed to increase interest and participation in the outdoors. We connect Colorado 4th grade students and their families to local environmental education programs and outdoor locations.
The program, directed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife, is funded by Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO).
We have one simple mission:
Connect kids to the outdoors!
We Do This By:
- Providing field trip funding and access to transportation to take students on field trips to state parks and other partner sites.
- Creating programs and incentives that encourage the use of school grounds as outdoor classrooms.
- Facilitating opportunities for students and their families to connect with partner programs and opportunities to recreate outdoors.
As a school participating in the SOLE program, funding provides for each fourth grade student to:
- 3 Field Trips
- One to a Colorado State Park or other Colorado Parks and Wildlife property
- One to a History Colorado affiliate site
- One to a partner location
- Family Nature Nights hosted at each school
- Family Events at State Parks and/or partner locations
- In-class programs provided by CPW staff, History Colorado staff, and/or other partner organizations
- Outdoor Understanding for Teachers (OUT) professional development institute for SOLE teachers, summer 2017
- Optional Basic Archery Instructor certification for PE teachers and archery provided for the entire school through the Colorado Archery in the Schools Program